Fish Cakes

I was sitting outside with my neighbor, Sandra, one evening and she asked me if I liked salmon. It was completely out of the blue and I wasn’t expecting it.  I do like salmon, and I told her so.  She then said she had a can of salmon for me.   Then she told me how she likes to eat her salmon and told me how she makes salmon cakes.  It was a few days later that I got around to picking up the promised can of salmon, and when I did she also had a small box of corn muffin mix for me.  Two days later I did what she had suggested and made salmon cakes, served with corn muffins.   Sandra’s recipe was very basic, and over the next few weeks I experimented with what different ingredients I had.
  I’ve found that using stuffing mix is good—it adds a variety of flavors (especially if you’re using tuna), but that if you use too much it will make the cakes too dry to cook properly.  I’d like to try a combination of canned chicken and chicken flavored stuffing.  --Zizi
Fish Cakes
1can of salmon**
1 egg
2tbsp breadcrumbs or stuffing
*3-4tbps mayonnaise
*1tbps chopped onion
*1clove garlic, chopped
Dash of sage
Dash of paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and let sit until the breadcrumbs are soft.
Fry in oil or butter till golden brown.
Serve with a baked potato and steamed broccoli,
or over a bed of lettuce with shredded cheese.
*indicates optional ingredients
**may substitute canned tuna or canned chicken
Enjoy!


Comments