Banana Bread!

I've bragged before about my banana bread recipe. I'd like to expound on that a little.

The recipe comes from my mom's mom (yes, in Minnesota where they actually like lutefisk, this one takes you by surprise. Someday I'll ask Grandma where she got it). This is one of the things that I remember growing up on, although if I think about it I realize that we didn't have it very often. This is also probably within the top five of my favorite foods of all time.

I worked in a wonderful restarunt in a sleepy little town in West Virginia. It was my dream job; I worked the lunch shift, Monday through Friday, from 9am to 5pm. And I was paid to come in an hour early and clean the dining rooms. We had a grill, two ovens, five gas ranges and a wood burning oven in which I baked bread every morning. I could handle upwards of 60-70 lunch customers by myself, and still help prepare for the dinner rush. But I digress.

Being one of my favorites it hardly comes as a surprise that I brought this recipe in for my boss to try. I'd brought in some bananas the week before, or so, and made some banana bread for the staff. I was hoping that the chef would like it enough to put it on the menu. He then asked a few of the cooks for family banana bread recipes to feature on the Sunday Brunch menu. I don't know if anyone else brought a recipe in, but the chef picked mine. I mailed a menu to my grandmother to show her how it looked with her name on it. The chef served it warm with cream cheese and strawberries.

Banana Bread

1/2 C oil/butter
1 1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
2bananas--mashed
1 tps vanilla
2 C flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 egg whites--whipped stiff


Mix oil and sugar; add eggs, bananas and vanilla. Sift in flour, baking powder and baking soda. Fold in egg whites. Bake @ 350 for 35 minutes in greased bread pans.

I always get 2 loaves.

Enjoy!

-- Zizi

Comments