Poor Man's Stew

I semi-promised at the very beginning of this blog to write something about my Poor Man's Stew, the recipe I introduced us with. Okay, so I didn't really promise anything at all, but it sounds better when I say it that way. I never gave the exact measurements of ingredients and all that good jazz, so I suppose now is as good a time as any.

This meal is truly a scraping together of random ingredients that most people tend to stock: some kind of pasta, and lots of canned vegetables and proteins. It was a move of semi-desperation on my part the day I concocted it, in that I couldn't figure out what to make and I was hungry. Bad combination! Anyway, it has everything nutrition-wise that one needs, with vegetables and protein and carbohydrates.

Poor Man's Stew

1 box of pasta (spaghetti, rotini, angel hair, pasta twirls, whatever)
1 can of great northern beans
1 can of lima beans
1 sliced carrot
1 sliced onion
handful of sliced broccoli
oil (olive or canola)

Fry carrots and onion in oil on medium heat in a large wok or saucepan. Add beans and broccoli last to prevent over-cooking.

Boil pasta, drain, and add to the vegetables. Add more oil, stir until pasta is well mixed and slightly browned. Serve and enjoy!


Comments