The Promised Land, Err. . . Tortillas!

The Holy Family!  The shepherds and wise men will come.
You could be playing with them!
Here is the promised post about tortillas, since our internet access depends upon my ability to get to a wi-fi hotspot; I'm just writing and posting in quick sucession right now.  Oh! and the Holy Family the Nativity Scene is ready.  Buy some raffle tickets and you could win them!

The Amazing Omnivorous Child has been eating tortillas like there was nothing else in the house.  And then we were traveling, and that's hard on little people, so he only ate tortillas.  I decided that it was too expensive to buy them at the rate that he's eating them.  Besides, if I make them I can control how much sugar they have and maybe even put carrots in them (carrots are his new all-time favorite food).

When I was visiting my parents sometime last year I helped my mom make tortillas, so I knew that it was possible to do at home, and even had a general idea of how to do it.  So I called Mom to get her recipe. 

Warm, fresh tortillas!
The tortillas came out more like flat bread than tortillas; next time I'll take out the baking powder see what that does.  The recipe also has too much flour, so when you do it either add more liquid or take out some flour (I suggest starting with half cup less flour). 

Have fun!

Tortillas

4 c flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
4 tsp oil
1 milk
½ c water


Mix all the dough together and let sit for 20 minutes.  Form into small balls (about the size of a small child's fist) and let sit for another 10 minutes.  Preheat griddle to Hot.  Roll out one at a time as flat as you can and fry in light oil for about 30 seconds on each side.

--Zizi

Comments