Autumn, Winter, Holidays and Beverages!

It's that wonderful time of year when the weather turns cold (sometimes miserable), and people drag out the fuzzy sweaters and turn on the Christmas music.  Right now I have "Winter Wonderland" running through my head (although I absolutely refuse to listen to the music until after tomorrow).  And the "holiday blends" and seasonal drinks at the coffee shop are some of my favorite things. 

I admit that I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with enough food to write about; my knee has been giving me some trouble and it's been hard to cook food the way that I like to.  It's getting better, but I haven't cooked anything worth writing about for a while (tonight I made mac&cheese).  So it's time to pull out my recipe book and look at what I have for seasonal drinks!



Last year I gave you my recipe for hot cocoa  and when I went back to look at it I realized I'd given you my adaption of the recipe that my sister gave me years ago.    She used to make it for us when Mom and Dad went out; I can remember watching her add the ingredients and stirring it while it simmered.  I've never actually made it according to the recipe she had, but hers was good.  What I gave you last year is what I've done to make it simpler.  I tend to cut corners and save time if I can. 

I made my cocoa yesterday afternoon; we'd gotten home from shopping and it was foggy with a light drizzle.  I'd bought a peppermint mocha, and saved the cup for Thing One to have his cocoa in.  He pretends he's drinking coffee.  Thing Two poured his all over the kitchen floor just to see what shape the puddle would make.  I didn't take any pictures, so the ones I'm giving you are to celebrate tomorrow, and the coming Advent. 

Happy Thanksgiving!
Zizi

Hot Cocoa--Original

1/3 C sugar
1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
dash salt
1/2 C water
3 1/2 C milk

Combine sugar, cocoa and salt in a saucepan; stir in water and bring to a boil--stirring constantly.  Stir in milk and heat till just boiling--do NOT boil.  Beat with rotary beater till frothy.  Top with marshmallows or whipped cream. 

Comments