Toddlers, and Corn Bread

I was so happy earlier this week, Thing One actually sat down with us and ate dinner!  Not that he won't sit with us, he's just at that stage where he will only eat if he's dying of starvation.  I have many assurances that he'll grow out of it, and he's not loosing weight or getting sick from it. 

Anyway, I had dropped Nick off at work because I needed to do some grocery shopping, and ended up bringing his dinner.  I had been craving some cornbread all weekend, and picked up a container of cornmeal when I was shopping.  So the first thing I did when I got home was make some cornbread (recipe below).  Once it was in the oven I pulled some chicken out of the freezer and threw it in the microwave.  On the side I made fried green beans with onions and mushrooms.  So very tasty!

The boys and I got to Nick's work and set the food out on the picnic table, and waited for Nick to come out.  While we waited I offered Thing One a piece of cornbread with honey on it.  He'd almost finished it by the time Nick came out, and then he asked for some chicken! (Thing One just came along and drank all my tea! Pest.)  




On Friday, probably as you're reading this, we'll be over at my in-laws baking for Christmas.  I've requested Wine Cakes (recipe will follow) and my mother-in-law wants me to learn how to make Nut Roll.  From what I've seen, the Nut Roll is a family tradition for all holidays and events.  It's going to be a fun day.  I'll post pictures of the baking, and of Christmas, after the weekend. 

A very merry Christmas to all, and God bless you!
Zizi

Corn Bread

1C four
1C yellow corn meal
1/4 C sugar
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 C milk
1/4 C oil or melted shortening

There were not instructions on the card, just a note to not over bake.  So, mix all and bake at 425 for 25 minutes.  

I added about 2tsp each of garlic, sage and paprika.  I also substituted honey for the sugar.  I have also used brown sugar and chicken bullion, which is good.  I want to try it using butter instead of oil, and see if that makes if more moist. 

Comments

  1. Hahaha! SOunds goood. Please remember to post the Wine Cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment