The Incredible, Edible Egg.

So happy to be helping Mommy!
I had a semi startling realization the other day: Thing One might be smarter than the average bear.  I've suspected this for a little while, but it was brought home to me when I was on the phone with my sister and she exclaimed at something that I mentioned he'd done.  Like most other three year olds don't do that. 

It was last summer, when he was two and a half.  He wanted some eggs, and he decided that he was going to cook them himself.  I figured that the prudent thing to do would be to teach him how to do it right so he wouldn't get hurt.  So I turned the pan on, cracked the eggs, showed him how to scramble them, what they looked like when they were done and how to put them on a plate.  Only once did he touch the burner--he's never done that again.  Thing One has gotten good enough cooking eggs that after I crack the eggs for him I can walk away and do something else, and come back to turn the burner off.  Do other three year olds do that? I honestly don't know.



The other night I was looking for something to eat (a strange condition that I have, needing to eat every hour), and Thing One decided that I wanted eggs.  That was fine with me, so long as I could eat.  He insisted on cooking my eggs for me, and when they were almost done he said he wanted some too.  So I put my eggs on a tortilla, which confused him for a minute, and cracked his eggs.  I asked him if he wanted anything on them and his response was, "No pepper, just salt."

Elizabeth's Egg-stravagansa for Pregnant Protein Needs

Lightly brown one side of a tortilla in oil. Spread browned side with mayo, ranch dressing or sour cream (whatever your taste prefers).  Scramble two eggs (with onions and mushrooms if your budget allows). Layer the eggs on one half of the tortilla and top with cheese.  Fold the tortilla in half and put gently back in the pan--just long enough to brown on both sides and melt the cheese.  Cut in half (or thirds) and devour!

Zizi

Comments

  1. Ohh yumm! So incredible that he can cook an egg...never heard of that before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't cook eggs till I was at least 12 or 13. Your child is a prodigy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment