A Selection of Old Favorites

I have been feeling so blah lately, and then I realized that I've run out of one of the natural supplements I've been using to help with the pregnancy.  I was almost shocked to see how much that stuff was helping me, now that I do not have it and I'm having trouble staying awake throughout the entire day.  Have you ever been so utterly wiped out that you can't even listen to music?  That's where I am without this stuff.  But I must have gotten some sleep last night, because this morning I feel okay.  I'm even thinking of going out and doing laundry--after I buy more supplement!

The other day, and by that I mean a few weeks ago, I had a package of ground beef, some potatoes and a can of cream of mushroom soup.  I threw those together with some fried onions and half of a green pepper.  I wish I could remember what I was thinking when I made this, but the only thing I can remember is being acutely surprised when it came out tasting just like the hash my mom used to make when I was little. 


The other dish I made that I've been wanting to write about is the creamed peas that I made.  Now, I did not grow up eating or loving creamed peas, that is a new thing.  And the odd thing is that Nick and I had been avoiding buying peas because we had each thought  that the other hated them, when in reality we would both eat a whole bag of frozen peas by ourselves.  So now I'm trying to make sure we have at least two bags of peas in the freezer at all times.  With this dinner, I remember that I had cooked the peas in the microwave and then added them to the fried onions and mushrooms, with a generous amount of butter.  Then I threw in a few heaping tablespoons of sour cream.  It tasted wonderful, it was everything I'd hoped it would be; and I've made it several times since then.  The creamed peas go so well with most types of meat, pork, steak, chicken--I've sort of stopped doing ground beef as I cannot finish a whole pound by myself.   And a small word about the beer in the picture:  It was great!  Nick splurged a bit for Mother's Day and this was the one that we compromised on.  It's very similar to a Blue Moon, but not quite as sweet.  I do recommend this one if you want to try something new.  Next time we are going to try the Lager.

The boys need my attention now, and I have promised to take Thing Two shoe shopping with his birthday money (birthday stories later). 

Ciao!
Zizi

Comments