Balloons! and Granola

Thing Two, this is how I feel today.
This post is actually going to be about food, mostly.  I also have this plan that I'm going to go to the bookstore and read "Food Blogging for Dummies"  so that I can make this blog a little better than its' already awesome awesomeness.  And I feel a little goofy today. 

Thing One had a growing-up victory the other day, and we had a party for him.  The boys had so much fun with the balloons!



Thing One, our big boy!
We eat a lot of snacks here, partly because the boys are still in that picky-eater stage, and I like to keep some in the van and diaper bag, and my night stand, and pretty much stashed everywhere I can hide them.  One of our favorites is granola bars--especially when the boys get fussy at church.  The bars are not terribly expensive (and although they are probably filled with the stuff that's really bad for you, I'm not a crunchy-mama), it is much more economic to make them myself.  Plus, if I don't put any chocolate chips or candy in them the boys are more inclined to eat the whole thing.

I've seen probably a few hundred recipes for peanut butter granola on Pintrest, but the following recipe is something that I've been making for the past, hmmm, oh wow! fourteen or fifteen years (I'm a little older than I feel).  I haven't gotten around to actually make granola bars with my granola yet, it all gets eaten too fast.  I got up before anyone else and made a new batch this morning just so I could share it with you (and eat it).

Peanut Butter Granola

Approx. 5C oatmeal
Fresh out of the oven.
1/2 C Wheat Germ (or other filler, like crushed frosted flakes) 
Half of a jar of Peanut Butter
1 stick of Butter
1/4 C honey
1 Tbsp Vanilla (depending on your taste)

In the past I have simmered (NOT BOILED) the butter, peanut butter and honey on the stove, mixed in the dry ingredients and then baked it on a cookie sheet.  It is much simpler to throw everything into a large oven-safe mixing bowl and bake that at 250degrees for about 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.  Then let it cool on the counter, still stirring every so often. 

I've added candied fruit. 
*I was lucky to find a pack of wheat germ at the store discounted to $2.00, but in the past I've used a variety of crushed up cereals.  If you are going to use sugared cereals (like frosted flakes of corn, frosted bits of wheat, or even honey glazed -o's)  you should think about decreasing the amount of honey that you use. 
*This morning I used old fashioned rolled oats, but I prefer to use instant oats whenever I bake.  I have found that it doesn't really make a difference which one you use.

Now I'm going to go put on some fuzzy socks and cuddle my babies.
Zizi

And Mimi. . . .

Comments