The Best Part of Waking Up...

Thingus Maximus and Mimi the Cute have always been the more caring of the four kids (I started writing this before the twins were born). Not that the others don't care, these two are just more people oriented. Proof of this is that these two are the ones who make my coffee.

One of my favorite stories is about when Maximus was about a year old; Minimus was just crawling around. One day after church the four of us were just sitting on the living room floor playing together, and Maximus made his first cup of pretend coffee. He carefully brought me the pretend cup and put it gently in my hands. However, he was so excited that he'd made coffee that he had to help me drink it. He lifted the pretend cup and poured the coffee down my throat.

Such was the force of his personality,even then, that I choked and, in the midst of my laughter, yelled about how hot it was. It was hilarious. He has since graduated to making real coffee for me. He loves doing it as a surprise, but I have to supervise him or he'll make it strong enough to wake the dead.




A few weeks ago we were sitting outside enjoying
the last of the good weather, and Mimi was making
 pretend food and drinks for me. I love pretend food, becasue I can eat all of the things that I love the most and cannot have: crossionts (both with chocolate and as sandwiches), cookies, pie, sandwiches, cakes . . .

I forget what kind of food Mimi gave me, but she also gave me a cup of coffee with it. (I also love my pretend coffees, cause we go all out with the flavors!) She handed me the (pretend) cup and said, "But don't drink it, it's hot."

I replied, "But coffee is supposed to be hot."

My three year old looked at me sadly and whispered, "Not for you."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I can laugh about it now, but at the time I think I cried. Nick has since bought me a new travel mug (my reliable old favorite finally died after twelve years of faithful service), and it's huge and insulated. This new one keeps my coffee hot all day long. So take that, LIFE, I will drink my coffee hot!


Comments