A Dairy Free Fairy Tale

I love coffee. And I love flavors in my coffee. I feel for those who have allergies and cannot have the tasty things. I understand how hard that is; I have food allergies when I am pregnant. So when I eventually start my bakery I'm going to cater to people with allergies. It's going to be challenging, but oh so much fun!

<--This is chocolate coconut creme for my coffee. I've been holding off cooking with coconut oil because a)I don't want to be part of a fad, b)it's so expensive. But someone gave me a jar of it and I'd been using it for lotions, chap-stick, and the like (it's great as a nursing lotion!!). I even did the toothpaste.


But, back to the coffee. I like putting butter in my coffee; I don't eat enough and adding that extra good fats and protein really helps a lot. But I've heard various things about coconut oil in coffee. The biggest thing being that it's no good if you don't whip the oil first. So I did that; I googled this recipe and whipped it up. Now here I have to digress again into my love of the flavor of chocolate covered coconut; I'll try not to go too far. Almond Joy is one of my favorite candy bars ever. So when I put this chocolate coconut oil creme into my coffee the first time I was so very happy because it tasted like the candy. I was walking around on my toes and bragging to my husband for two days.
Now, that bowl up there that looks like whipped cream (or egg whites, or marshmallow fluff depending on what you need to cook) is neither dairy nor egg. It is, actually, aquafaba. I don't know how far behind I am on this one, but this is one trend I am jumping on. This is magic.

You take the water that white beans have soaked in (chick peas are a favorite choice), add a little sugar, maybe some cream of tarter (baking powder is a decent substitute) and whip it for forever (it does take much longer than egg whites). Since my girls eat chick peas like candy I have lots of bean water on hand.
The above is my first attempt at making pictures in my coffee. I need more practice. At the left is frozen aquafaba creme.

This stuff, once whipped, can be used like egg whites, whipped cream, or marshmallow fluff. If you google aquafaba recipes you'll see a bunch if lists (that's why I'm not giving you any links here); everyone links to the same ten recipes, with one or two different ones thrown in. Mostly it's a lot of macaroons and meringues.


Whipped aquafaba does not hold its shape for very long, so if you need to keep it put it in the freezer. It'll keep there for about 5 days before it starts to melt again. It will not freeze solid; it comes out like frozen whipped topping. This is what I've been putting on top of my coconut oil coffee. Both the coconut oil and the aquafaba add a rich, hearty, full bodied flavor to the coffee. I don't think I'll be able to go back to regular cream again. I even used the coconut oil and aquafaba to make hot cocoa. That was good.

My next project is to try the aquafaba in my banana bread and see if I can replace the eggs entirely. I'll keep you posted!

Update: Whip the aquafaba before you freeze it. Pre-frozen bean water will whip, but not to stiff peaks, nor will it hold it's shape long enough to do anything with.

Comments